Welcome to the 1pbx Blog

Keep up to date on all things VoIP.

Special emphasis on security and custom integrations.  Let us know if there are any topics you would like covered!

Thursday, 06 February 2020 21:23

Is the Fax Machine As Relevant As Ever?

Written by
In the age of email, how does the fax machine keep a presence in the modern workplace? Irrefutably, technology has displaced many traditional means of file sharing. For instance, cloud storage enables users to upload and download on demand. Email and instant messaging, too, eliminate the need to pass memos around the office. As everything…
Monday, 03 February 2020 17:58

Should You Use a Wired or Wireless VoIP Phone?

Written by
Most public spaces offer free Wi-Fi—so much so that we rely on it for our mobile devices. Even at home, most networks support wireless connectivity. It lets us roam with our laptops or stream from devices in different rooms and on separate floors. For over a decade, we’ve enjoyed cordless landline phones. While many VOIP…
Thursday, 02 January 2020 17:49

Types of Audio Codecs on an IP Phone

Written by
Many hosted PBX users worry about bandwidth. Yet voice quality hinges less on the bandwidth available and more on how the phones handle it. This relates to data compression, the process of squishing files. Regarding hosted PBX, this is the audio codecs. Audio codecs make calling online less data intensive; they make it "lightweight." Codecs break down…
Monday, 16 December 2019 10:39

Experience Less Downtime with VoIP

Written by
One hour of downtime equals -$12,500 for the average small business, according to Megapath. For larger businesses, the average jumps to -$212,000. Both numbers reflect losses in profits, resources and productivity across all major telecommunications services. Power complications are responsible for approximately 40% of downtime. Hardware, network and human failures comprise the remaining 60%. To protect…
Wednesday, 11 December 2019 12:48

How to Plan an Effective Telecommuting Program

Written by
A recent Personnel Psychology study observes that telecommuters are generally more productive than office workers.1 Similar research shows the majority of managers believe telecommuting retains talent.2 Thus, in many respects, work-from-home employment models can contribute to business continuity and progress. Telecommuting programs help save businesses money, too. According to Global Workplace Analytics, unscheduled absences represent $1,800/employee in losses each year.3 Telecommuting…
Monday, 02 December 2019 11:02

BLF-Function Keys on Your IP-Phone

Written by
Monitoring Phone Extensions from an IP-Device Most VoIP solutions include BLF (Busy Lamp Field) as a standard feature, though not all IP-phones support it. Sometimes, manufacturers refer to BLF as DSS (Direct Station Selection), so check your documentation for both. Devices with this capability make it easier on administrators to monitor several extensions within a…
Monday, 02 December 2019 10:46

How to Choose the Right SIP Device

Written by
One question that comes up a lot is, "How do I make and take calls online?" Really, this depends on preference. Most systems work with commonplace hardware like landlines and mobile phones. With that said, virtual phone solutions are compatible with a bevy of SIP phones. These devices send and receive audio over the internet rather…
Tuesday, 26 November 2019 11:48

How to Make Your Conference Calls More Useful

Written by
Conference calls serve a variety of purposes. They allow for quick, democratic decision-making and last minute debriefing. Among friends and family, they make staying in touch easier. Regardless of the purpose, conference calls bridge big distances and save time. That is, so long as they run smoothly. The push towards virtualization in today’s modern office…
Page 4 of 6

@1pbxio

Braintree Certified

Braintree Certified Badge

visamastercardpaypal